Seznam blogů

7. 2. 2019

 The Legend of the Three Trees / Legenda o třech stromech


Související obrázek

    Legend of Three Trees / Legenda o třech stromech    

Once there were three trees on a mountaintop. They were discussing their hopes and dreams when the first tree said, "Some day I hope to be a treasure chest. I would be filled with gold, silver and precious gems, I could be decorated with intricate carvings and everyone would see my beauty."
Then the second tree said, "Someday I will be a mighty ship. I will take Kings and Queens across the seas and sail to the corners of the earth. Everyone will feel safe in me because 
of the strength of my hull."
Finally the third tree said, "I want to grow to be the tallest and straightest tree in the forest. People will see me on top of the hill and will look up to my branches, and think of 
the heavens and how close I am to reaching them. I will be the greatest tree of all time and people will always remember me."
After a few years of praying that their dreams would come true, a group of woodcutters came upon the trees. When one of then came to the first tree he said, "This looks like a strong tree, I do think that I would be able to sell this tree to a carpenter." And he began to cut the tree down. The tree was very happy because he knew that a carpenter could make him into a treasure chest for precious gems and metals. At the second tree another woodcutter said. "This looks like a strong tree too,
I should be able to sell this tree to a shipyard." The second tree was even more happy than the first tree because he knew that he was on his way to becoming a mighty ship.

When the other woodcutter saw the third tree, the tree was frightened because he heard
 the woodcutter say, "I don't have any special need for this tree, so I'll just cut it down and see later if I will have any need of it." The third tree thought that his dreams would not come true!
But when the first tree arrived at the carpenters, he was made into a feed-box for animals. 
He was then placed in a barn and filled with hay. This was not what the first tree had dreamed of, or prayed for, and he was very disappointed. The second tree went to the shipyard and was made into a small fishing boat. His dreams of being a mighty ship, carrying Kings and Queens across the seas, was ended. The third tree was cut up into planks and was left alone in the darkness. Many years went by and all the three trees forgot about their dreams and prayers.
Then one day, a man and a women came to the barn to stay for a while. She gave birth to 
a baby boy whilst she was there, and she placed the baby boy in the hay in the feed-box. 
The man wished he could have made a proper crib for the baby but this feed-box would have to do. But somehow the first tree felt the importance of this event and somehow knew that 
he had indeed held the greatest treasure of all time.
Some years later a group of men got into a small fishing boat made from the timber of the second tree. One of them was tired and fell asleep. Whilst they were out on the water a great storm came up and the second tree did not think that he was strong enough to keep the men safe. The other men in the fishing boat then woke the man who was asleep and he said, "Peace!" and the storm suddenly stopped. Now the tree knew that he had indeed carried 
the King of Kings.
Finally, some three years later, someone came and got the third tree's planks out of the dark shed. It was carried through the streets as the people mocked the man who was carrying it. When they came to a stop on a small hill the man was nailed to the tree and raised in the air to die there. On the Sunday the third tree suddenly came to realize that it was indeed strong enough to stand on the top of a hill for all to see and that he was closer to heaven than 
he could ever have imagined.
That was better than being the tallest tree in the world!